Technical english communications is the delivery of technical information to readers (or listeners or viewers) in a manner that is adapted to their needs, level of understanding, and background.
- Hints to consider when writing instructions
- Writing article thesis
- IT Technical English glossary; ICT4LT: English Glossary
Writing the individual steps:
1. Know what you need to do.
2. Know who your audience is and what level of expertise you expect.
3. List what you need: tools and materials.
4. Organize your instructions carefully.
Process 1. Finding the Index
Process 2. Using the Index
5. Number each step
n Use chronological order.
6. Follow this basic pattern:
è Then describe.
o Show what happens? (Use a figure if necessary)
o Show what should it look like?
7. Emphasize the result of each step or main process.
8. Place warnings or notes at useful points.
n Use bold letters for warnings and notes:
Note: “Warnings” are stronger than “notes.”
Giving the instructions structure:
1. Give your instructions a title: “How to ….”
2. State the purpose of your instructions.
n State this concisely on the first line after the instructions.
3. End with troubleshooting hints.
4. Use headings to show main topics/processes. Make the headings specific.
Writing the text:
1. Use imperative (command) mode to instruct, but ....
2. Use complete sentences to describe and explain your ideas.
3. Do not use telegraphic English.
Wrong: Place nozzle in receptacle.
Right: Place the nozzle in the receptacle.
4. If you give examples, be sure the readers understand whether you
have given an example of what they must do or an example showing
what they can do.
Testing your instructions:
– Ask someone who doesn't know how to do the process to
read and follow your instructions.
– Revise your instructions based on what your test shows.
- Write an "article" thesis, with 50-100 pages in points 1-8, plus appendices as indicated.
- Begin each chapter with how it relates to other chapters, and end it with a small chapter summary.
- In final thesis writing, complete the abstract first to focus the rest.
- Please use figures, tables, bullet points etc. to make the reading easier.
- To be able to accomplish a task and maintain a comfortable social climate in the learning community or group, to be able to function effectively in both working and social activities, the students need to constantly maintain a high degree of social awareness.
For instance, this single sentenece may be split into three:
The students need to constantly maintain a high degree of social awareness. This is needed to accomplish a task and to maintain a comfortable social climate in the learning community or group. It is also neded to function effectively in both working and social activities.
- This awareness includes knowledge on learners' roles, activities, positions, status, responsibilities, social connections and group processes, with a time-span from a momentous overview of social situation in the community to a long-term memory of the community's social life.
For instance, insert an extra period:
This awareness includes knowledge on learners' roles, activities, positions, status, responsibilities, social connections and group processes. It can have a time-span from a momentous overview of social situation in the community, to a long-term memory of the community's social life.
Russian sites to visit: Tonometer | IT companies